Western Leader : February 3rd 2011
www.westernleader.co.nz Thursday, February 3, 2011 Restaurant's bad week By NICOLA MURPHY Burgled: Brian Rodricks, manager of Masala Indian restaurant, which was broken into the day after a fire callout. Photo: JASON OXENHAM BRIAN Rodricks didn t mind fixing his restaurant door after firefight- ers smashed it in last week. They feared the building was going up in smoke but it was actu- ally just the cook firing up the tandoori oven. But the restaurant manager begrudges spending another $1200 to repair the door after burglars broke in the next day. Members of the public called 111 around 9.30am after seeing smoke coming from Masala Indian res- taurant in Titirangi on Wednesday last week. Chef Halbinder Singh had come into work early to prepare more food because the previous night had been busy and there wasn t much stock left. Firefighters arrived and banged on the door but Mr Singh didn t hear them because he was in the kitchen making tandoori chicken. Titirangi station officer Jim Hoskins says they were forced to smash the door to get in. We had to break in, especially because we could see the smoke. We had to consider the premises above the restaurant. But it was just the oven operating normally and the chicken was not burnt. Mr Rodricks didn t begrudge pay- ing $260 to fix the glass because he knew the firefighters were there to help. It s perfectly understandable -- they were just doing their job, he says. Halbinder got quite a shock when he came out of the kitchen and saw all these firefighters stand- ing there with hoses. But Mr Rodricks was annoyed the next day when thieves smashed in the same door and stole several bottles of spirits. He says he can t believe the unlucky week the business has had. It s one of those weeks when everything goes insane -- to get a fire callout and then to get burgled the next day. Sergeant John Allen from the Henderson police burglary squad says two men and a woman have appeared in the Waitakere District Court charged with burglary. All the bottles of alcohol have since been returned and the door has been repaired.
February 1st 2011
February 4th 2011